Pediatric dentistry, also sometimes referred to as pedodontics, is a specific branch of dentistry that focuses on the prevention, identification, and treatment of dental problems affecting children of all ages. While any family dentist can take care of your child’s teeth, it is recommended that you choose a practice with a designated and experienced pediatric dentist who has undertaken the additional training needed in order to truly understand the development and importance of children’s teeth.
Your children’s teeth and oral health is just as important as your own for a number of different reasons.
Teaching your child about the importance of regular dental visits should start as soon as your child gets their first tooth. By taking them to visit their pediatric dentist early on, it should help to prevent them from developing a fear of dental appointments and treatments which is something that prevents many adults from going to see their dentist regularly.
As a responsible parent, you want your child to have the best possible oral health as well as attractive teeth that give them the confidence to smile. Your pediatric dentist is your partner in this endeavor and will help to ensure that your child’s teeth develop as they should and that any dental issues are addressed promptly before that can have a negative impact on their life. This includes addressing issues that could cause speech impediments, decay or damage or affect the appearance of their teeth.
You also want your child to live a life that is as long and healthy as it can be. Poor oral health has been linked to the development of a range of general conditions including high blood pressure, heart disease, stroke, and even diabetes. By ensuring that your child has the best possible oral health, you could reduce the likelihood of them experiencing these chronic health problems.
A smile is a simple gesture, but it is one that has a big impact. As your child grows, you don’t want them to feel self-conscious or embarrassed about the appearance of their teeth – something which could cause them to avoid smiling and even trigger the early onset of social anxiety. By helping them to take care of their teeth, you and your pediatric dentist will ensure that your child has an attractive smile that they can feel confident in sharing.
Pediatric dentists are able to provide a comprehensive range of dental treatments for children which include but are not limited to the following:
- Oral health exams in children of all ages
- Risk assessments for oral health and dental problems including caries, gum disease and more
- Preventative dental care which includes cleaning and fluoride treatments
- Education on the importance of diet and nutrition for oral health
- Education on brushing techniques
- Support with habits that could impact on teeth and oral health, such as prolonged pacifier use, thumb sucking and more
- Early orthodontic assessment which could identify the need for the correction of misalignment or bite problems
- Identification of problems with the eruption of adult teeth, for example, retained baby teeth
- Treatment/repair of dental problems, including fillings and crowns if necessary
- Care for dental injuries, for example a knocked-out tooth which is one of the most common dental injuries amongst children
If you would like to find out more about the importance of pediatric dentistry, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with our expert dental team.